Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: 3rd May 2011

Summary:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.


My Thoughts:
I devoured this book in under a day! I was so truly gripped to the action that surrounded Tris (aka Beatrice). Not being cliché, but she is character with so much bravery and confidence in everything she does even though her narration makes it seem far from it.


I wasn't so keen on the fractions and the whole idea of fitting in as it reminded me of other books about the slitting of people, The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeild and obviously Harry Potter with the houses and so on, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins...however I was surprised how much this book separated itself from the other books I've read. The fractions are much more serious and dangerous under the surface, even though on the top you may think there is no harm what so ever.

Next paragraph contains a small small small spoiler, but I have posted one without this paragraph here

Everything in each fraction is much more serious than I thought to begin with as we follow Tris into the Dauntless fraction. More like fight for a place or be fractionless, which means you end up living on the streets without a fraction. It is almost the survival of the fittest, it's not how I imagined a fraction to be like when it's to do with bravery.

My favourite parts of the book were the over coming fear processes and also reading the relationship between Tris and her family and just how they interact with one another, especially in the hardess of times, which really brought the story down to earth.

 

The only thing I was disappointed about was the romance. No, it was a cute romance and all, however I did find it predictable on who it was going to be as soon as I started reading the book. Tris is a little blinded in actions this person does during the training part of the book. I would read her narration about how she thinks he thinks she is weak and nothing, but I knew it was the complete opposite. She is utterly blind in how people act around her and what it means.It drove me M-A-D!! (However, adding to this, I become a critic in the romantic subject as my book build up in mostly romance.)

Recommend or Not? Yes, also because the romance has already been laid out the next book, I hope, won't focus so much on the romance but will be largely built up of ACTION! - I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment