Book Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Published: 7th May 2013

Ok, so I'd heard loads of reviews on this book and they were all raving over this book. So naturally, I was super eager to read this!....this is where it gets a bit awkward. Yeah...I didn't really like this book...

There are 5 stages. A division between humans and the aliens, them. Cassie and her dad get separated from Sammy, Cassie's younger brother, and are taken to a "safer" places. Cassie promises Sammy that whatever happens they'd find one another. When Cassie and her dad get taken to what looks like a camp of some sort, she later finds out that it's not the "safe" place that the soldiers said they'd be taking them and due to a turn of events Cassie runs. She runs for her life. Literally. It's her against them.

This is until we meet Evan, who's hiding out in his family house, where he had to watch each family member die. They form an alliance and they go on a mission to find out where Sammy is, even though Evan is very reluctant, they venture on.

Thoughts:
The beginning was no doubt great!
The opening of the book was SO good and I think that if the book was like that throughout I would of enjoyed it a lot more than I did. It did hold the typical scenes of the separation between aliens and humans but I brushed that away because the opening was so strong. It was full of questions and the detailed descriptions on the beginning waves were fascinating to read. Yes, I found them fascinating!

Then we hit the wall. It became very slow and a bit of a drag. Told through the point of view of both Cassie and Sammy it gives a wider view of the events that are happening. Sammy's point of view made me increasingly bored of the book and as a result of this I also became quite bored of Cassie's narration too. In the end it became a chore to finish this book. It was not my cup of tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment