Book Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: 28th February 2013 (Orion)
Pages: 327

Eleanor is the weird new girl. Park is the quiet Asian kid that she sits next to on the bus. Through connection of comic books, slowly but surely something grows between Park and Eleanor, surprising both of them. But through their comic book and mix tape exchanges can their first young love defeat all?


Thoughts:

Eleanor & Park has been a book that I've been waiting to read for a long time. The book was cute but not as full filling as expected.


Turn taking between Eleanor and Park which is where you really get to learn about the characters individually and worked very effectively, especially on Eleanor's behalf. It was beautiful seeing the little romance flourish and it reflects how when first being strangers can turn into a romance. I loved how Rowell built up the relationship in basically one environment, in the bus.

I think around two-thirds in the realism of the book slipped slightly. Reason mainly being due to the difficult situation that Eleanor is in. The topic is  difficult, yet there was not enough back story for me to feel any sort of emotion towards her mum or any of her other siblings. But then I did feel for Eleanor and I really enjoyed the contrast between her and Park.


The ending was a little disappointing but it wasn't all too disappointing to leave me annoyed or upset.

This is a book that I would recommend reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment